25.9.09



Here is a picture of my boss, Ingel as a baby. She gave it to me the first week of working together during a conversation about sustainable architecture. She had explained to me that in the 70's her father owned a company called, Shelter where he built insulated geodesic structures for living. Many of them were built in Eastern Ontario before any major developments in that area. I found this coincidence extremely pleasing and exciting.

Ingel grew up in the beaches and knows Toronto very intuitively. Through her, I learned that the beaches used to be primarily immigrant working class, with affordable housing. I rediscovered this city through her eyes, which complimented the desire I have to connect with Toronto. She told me about bike paths, bridges, little known buildings, ravines, parks, small neighborhoods with interesting streets, unusual homes, where the nice spots are to sit by the lake and the bird sanctuary where she once camped out on the island. She felt like a real friend, and the female equivalent to my big brother.
She gave me sagely advice on relationships, art, travel, career and generously offered hugs and an ear on some of my tearful, difficult days.

Today was her last day of work, she is leaving to travel around Southeast Asia indefinitely. I gave her a copy of invisible cities which is my most beloved book. After work, we walked some ways together. I think we were both procrastinating on saying good bye. On the rest of my walk home, I thought about how much I liked her and was going miss her and then I remembered this photo.

1 comment:

yesnoyes said...

I enjoyed this post very much.